I was recently working on a driver. I had finished the driver and everything was working great. I then started getting the following errors on my driver:
Code(-9010) An exception occurred: novell.jclient.JCException: createEntry -613 ERR_SYNTAX_VIOLATION
After yanking out some of the hair on my scalp, I took two traces, one of a user that was created successfully, and one of a user that kicked back this error. I looked at the XML document after all the driver logic was finished just before it tried to create the account.
What I found was there were very few differences (I hope not), but what ended up standing out is that in one of the traces, the user had a blank value for their Title attribute, and looked similar to this:
Why is this significant? Because if you look at the schema for eDirectory, the attribute Title is sized, with a minimum length of 1 character, meaning a blank attribute is not valid.
The resolution for this was simple. I found all attributes that had sizing restrictions on them, then simply did a check and stripped them out if they had a blank value. Here is what the Title attribute sample looked like:
<description>Strip Title if blank</description>
<comment xml:space="preserve">If title is a blank value, strip it so it doesn't cause a syntax violation.</comment>
<if-class-name mode="nocase" op="equal">User</if-class-name>
<if-op-attr mode="nocase" name="Title" op="equal"/>
Once this was done all of the errors disappeared!